Friday, April 22, 2011

"The Happiest Place on Earth"

Every year, my brother and I take the boys to an amusement park for Spring Break.  We've done Sea World, Legoland (twice), and Knott's Berry Farm.  This year we decided to take the plunge!  We went to Disneyland.

I used to mock people who thought Disneyland required multi-day passes and park hopper passes and all the other insanity that goes along with "The Happiest Place on Earth."  But after our trip, I must eat my words.  You really can't "do" Disneyland in one day anymore.  The place is HUGE and overwhelming.  There are TONS of people.  We had a great time, but I do believe that if I were ever to go again, I would have to stay at least 2 days and probably 3 in order to really enjoy my time.  It had been over 12 years since I had been to Disneyland.
We had to tie their hands so they would leave the chains for the lines alone!

No matter though... the boys had a great time.  We tried to hit the rides we thought they would enjoy.  The Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise, the Haunted Mansion, the Pirates of the Caribbean, the Indiana Jones Ride, Big Thunder Mountain, the Matterhorn, the Submarine ride, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear ride.  I may have missed one or two rides but they did enjoy everything except Space Mountain.  Both boys really liked the Matterhorn a lot.  But Space Mountain received less than stellar reviews.  Kieron said (with his pale gray face) "that was not so good."   It was a bit much for them (since it is so dark and fast).
This was before the ride - so they still appear happy.

But for me, the best part of the whole day were the fireworks.  Have you ever seen the Disneyland fireworks?  They are AMAZING!  I'm not really sure that word does them justice.  I LOVE fireworks.  The 4th of July is my favorite holiday because of the fireworks.  I go out of my way to watch fireworks when I can.  This was by far the best fireworks show I have EVER seen.  I stood for the 15-20 minute show holding a 45 pound child and still enjoyed every second!  It was awesome!
Mmmmm.  Cotton Candy! 

And ice cream at 10:30 PM.  Such great parenting!

We survived the day and I can even say that no one lost it or had a meltdown.  We would all go back and do it again but probably not next year.  I'm thinking Sea World again (I really like that place).  Or Legoland (not nearly as crowded as Disneyland).

No comments:

Post a Comment